Arima Onsen Walking Tour
Great Onsen Town in Kobe with a 1400-Year History
Arima Onsen (有馬温泉) is a well-known hot spring town located at the north of Kobe, nestled along the slopes of Mount Rokko. The town is not only a popular weekend stop for local residents but also an admired travel destination attract visitor from all over Japan and overseas.
Arima Onsen is one of Japan’s oldest hot spring resorts since its discovery 1,400 years ago. There are two types of hot spring waters found in Arima: the Kinsen (“gold water”) contains iron deposits which give it a brownish color and is claimed to relieve skin ailments and muscle pain. The Ginsen (“silver water”) contains radium and carbonate appearing clear in color and is believed to remedy muscle and joint problems.
The town has many traditional buildings in a compact area that you can easily explore on foot. Aside from the numerous hot springs, you will also find temples and shrines as well as a geisha tea house, an interesting toy museum, souvenir shops, restaurants, food stalls, etc. In this tour, we’ll explore this beautiful onsen town and introduce you the interesting facts of the town.
- Walk from Arima Onsen station to the Onsen town and see several must-see spots
- Experience a delicious Japanese lunch and street food in Onsen town
- Visit some temples and shrines along the way
- Explore the hot spring and its onsen source
- Listen to the Arima Onsen history and other local stories.