Kinosaki Onsen Scenic Walking Tour
Need time to relax? Going to an onsen is the perfect activity to heal sore muscles and relieve stress. An onsen 温泉 is a natural hot spring and because Japan has many active volcanoes, we have plenty of them.
2020 is a memorable year for Kinosaki Onsen to celebrate its 1300th anniversary. Kinosaki Onsen is a town built around 7 bathhouses. A river runs through the town lined with willow trees to provide a soothing and dreamy landscape. Guests usually wear a yukata and wooden clogs called geta and enjoy public onsen bath hopping.
Each seven public onsen has unique characteristics. Goshono-Yu is the most popular. Satono-Yu is the largest bathhouse with Japanese and European-stye baths. Kouno-Yu is the oldest and located at the far end of the street. Mandara-Yu is the oldest and is believed to have healing properties. Ichino-Yu features a cave bath surrounded by boulders. Yanagi-Yu is a small cypress bath and is the most traditional. Jizou-Yu is a small bathhouse that is popular with families.
In this tour, we’ll walk around the Kinosaki Onsen town. Starting from Kinosaki Onsen station and walk through the onsen town showing you fish markets, Japanese inns, souvenir shops, beautiful river walk with willows, murmur of a stream, etc. Then we’ll take a ropeway and show you the beautiful scenery along the way and the mountain top.
- Walk around the popular onsen town
- Learn about the health benefits of an onsen and why Japanese people love visiting them
- Take a ropeway and view the gorgeous scenery from the top and along the way
- Visit Onsen-ji temple and learn the origin of Kinosaki onsen
- Hear the unique sights and sounds of people wearing yukata and walking around in geta clogs.